Drawn swords in a distant land: south vietnam's shattered

Nonimmigrant Visa Information Nonimmigrant Visa Application Immigrant Visas Local Visa Programs Locations General Information

Student Visa

On this page:



The United States welcomes foreign citizens who come khổng lồ the United States to study. Before applying for a visa, all student visa applicants are required lớn be accepted and approved by their school or program. Once accepted, educational institutions will provide each applicant the necessary approval documentation to lớn be submitted when applying for a student visa.

Bạn đang xem: Drawn swords in a distant land: south vietnam's shattered

Visa Descriptions & QualificationsF-1 Visa

This is the most common type of student visa. If you wish to engage in academic studies in the United States at an approved school, such as an accredited U.S. college or university, private secondary school, or approved English language program then you need an F-1 visa. You will also need an F-1 visa if your course of study is more than 18 hours a week.

M-1 Visa

If you plan engage in non-academic or vocational study or training at a U.S. institution then you need an M-1 visa.

More information about each of these visas and opportunities for studying in the United States can be found at the Education USA trang web.

U.S. Public Schools

U.S. law does not permit foreign students khổng lồ attkết thúc public elementary school (kindergarten to 8th grade) or a publicly funded adult education program. Hence, F-1 visas cannot be issued for study at such schools.

An F-1 visa can be issued for attendance at a public secondary school (grades 9 lớn 12), but the student is limited to a maximum of 12 months at the school. The school must also indicate on the Form I-đôi mươi that the student has paid the unsubsidized cost of the education and the amount submitted by the student for that purpose.

For more information about F-1 legal requirements, visit the Department of State trang web.

Note: Holders of A, E, F-2, G, H-4, J-2, L-2, M-2 or other derivative sầu nonimmigrant visas may enroll in public elementary and secondary schools.

Student Assistance, Finding a U.S. School

Students who hope khổng lồ enroll in an U.S. educational institution are encouraged lớn contact and visit the EducationUSA Advising Centersin Hanoi or in Ho Chi Minh City

Application Items

To apply for an F or M visa, you must submit the following:

An approved Form I-đôi mươi from your U.S. school or program.

In addition khổng lồ these items, you must present an interview appointment letter confirming that you booked an appointment through this service. You may also bring whatever supporting documents you believe support the information provided to the consular officer.

How lớn ApplyStep 1

Complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) form.

Step 2

Pay the visa application fee.

Xem thêm: 10 Kinh Nghiệm Xin Visa Du Lịch Úc Có Khó Không, Xin Visa Du Lịch Úc Khó Hay Dễ

Step 3

Schedule your appointment on this website page. You will need the following information in order lớn schedule your appointment:

Your passport numberThe ten (10) digit barcode number from your DS-160 confirmation pageStep 4

Visit the U.S. Embassy or Consulate on the date and time of your visa interview. You must bring a printed copy of your appointment letter, your DS-160 confirmation page, one photograph taken within the last six months, your current and all old passports, and the original visa fee payment receipt. Applications without all of these items will not be accepted.

Supporting Documents

Supporting documents are only one of many factors a consular officer will consider in your interview. Consular officers look at each application individually and consider professional, social, cultural and other factors during adjudication. Consular officers may look at your specific intentions, family situation, and your long-range plans and prospects within your country of residence. Each case is examined individually & is accorded every consideration under the law.

Caution: Do not present false documents. Fraud or misrepresentation can result in permanent visa ineligibility. If confidentiality is a concern, you should bring your documents to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in a sealed envelope. The U.S. Embassy or Consulate will not make your information available to lớn anyone & will respect the confidentiality of your information.

You should bring the following documents khổng lồ your interview:

Documents demonstrating svào financial, social, and family ties lớn your trang chính country that will compel you to lớn return lớn your country after your program of study in the United States ends.Financial và any other documents you believe sầu will support your application và which give sầu credible evidence that you have enough readily-available funds to lớn meet all expenses for the first year of study and that you have sầu access to funds sufficient lớn cover all expenses while you remain in the United States. M-1 applicants must demonstrate the ability to lớn pay all tuition and living costs for the entire period of their intended stay.Photocopies of bank statements will not be accepted unless you can also show original copies of bank statements or original bank books.If you are financially sponsored by another person, bring proof of your relationship lớn the sponsor (such as your birth certificate), the sponsor"s most recent original tax forms và the sponsor"s bankbooks and/or fixed deposit certificates.Academic documents that show scholastic preparation. Useful documents include school transcripts (original copies are preferred) with grades, public examination certificates (A-levels, etc.), standardized test scores (SAT, TOEFL, etc.), & diplomas.Dependents

Spouses and/or unmarried children under the age of 21 who wish lớn accompany or join the principal visa holder in the United States for the duration of his or her stay require derivative F or M visas. There is no derivative visa for the parents of F or M holders.

Family members who vày not intend to reside in the United States with the principal visa holder, but wish to lớn visit for vacations only, may be eligible lớn apply for visitor (B-2) visas.

Spouses & dependents may not work in the United States on a derivative sầu F or M visa. If your spouse/child seeks employment, the spouse must obtain the appropriate work visa.

Supporting Documents for Dependents

Applicants with dependents must also provide:

Proof of the student"s relationship lớn his or her spouse and/or child (e.g., marriage and birth certificates)

It is preferred that families apply for their visas at the same time, but if the spouse and/or child must apply separately at a later time, they should bring a copy of the student visa holder"s passport and visa, along with all other required documents.

Other InformationOptional Practical Training (OPT)

F-1 visa holders may be eligible for up to lớn 12 months of optional practical training following completion of all course requirements for graduation (not including thesis or equivalent), or after completion of all requirements. OPT is separate from a student"s academic work, & time for OPT will not normally be reflected during the student"s academic program or in the completed study date. Students applying for an F visa to bởi OPT may present an I-đôi mươi with an original over of study date that may have sầu passed. However, these I-20s must be annotated by the designated school official to reflect approval of an OPT program that extends beyond the end of the regular period of study. In addition, the student must have sầu proof that USCIS has approved their practical training program or that an application is pending, either in the form of an approved Employment Authorization Card or a Form I-797 indicating that s/he has a pending application for an OPT program.

Students within the United States

A student (F-1 or M-1) may thua thảm that status if they vày not resume studies within five sầu months of the date of transferring schools or programs, under immigration law. If a student loses status, unless USCIS reinstates the student"s status, the student"s F or M visa would also be invalid for future travel returning to lớn the United States. For more information see the USCIS website, và instructions for Application for Extend/Change of Nonimmigrant Status Form I-539 lớn request reinstatement of status.

Validity of Student Visas After a Break in Studies

Students who leave sầu the United States for a break in studies of five months or more vì chưng not need to lớn apply for a new F-1 visa if the student’s current visa is still valid, and they remain an eligible student. A U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP) officer at the port of entry will determine whether the student is admissible khổng lồ the United States. Students should consult with their school officials in advance of, or during, any travel outside the United States to ensure they properly maintain their status in SEVIS, & lớn issue a new Form I-trăng tròn if needed.

Xem thêm: Sự Thật Về Những Bóng Ma Rùng Rợn Trong Ngôi Nhà Hoang Ở Sài Gòn

Guide to lớn Studying in the States

The Student và Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP), part of U.S. Immigration & Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) Homel& Security Investigations (HSI), launched a revamped Guide to Studying in the States. This updated educational tool allows users khổng lồ create a customized guide with information on the international student life cycle specific khổng lồ their visa type (F-1 or M-1) and education cấp độ. Each guide contains information about preparing khổng lồ enter the United States, traveling, studying, student benefits, change of status & departing the United States. Users can skip directly khổng lồ a specific section in each guide or print a custom guide based on their selections.